Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Almond Cookies


If I have a signature cookie, this is it. I got the recipe from a college roommate, and it is one of my most-requested specialties. They aren't a family favorite, but they are a personal favorite for both me and eight-year-old Anna. She requested them for her birthday treat this year at school ("Because everybody else brings chocolate chip.") When she saw me uploading photos of them for a blog post, she said, "But those are our special cookies! We don't want just anybody making them, do we?"



They are a little chewier (read: softer) than traditional Chinese almond cookies. We don't make them often, but we do usually make them at Christmas time.



Almond Cookies

½ c. margarine
½ c. white sugar
½ c. brown sugar
1 egg
1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
1 ½ c. flour
½ teaspoon soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ c. finely chopped almonds
½ c. whole almonds
Cream margarine, white sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in egg and almond extract. Add combined flour, soda and salt. Mix well. Stir in chopped almonds. Chill (Note: I don't believe that I have ever chilled these cookies in all my many years of making them, and they almost always turn out great. But if you wish to chill, chill away). Shape level tablespoons full of dough into balls. Place two inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet; press a whole, blanched almond into the top of each ball. Bake at 360 degrees for 12-14 minutes or until lightly browned. Let stand one minute before removing from cookie sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment