Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Pomegranate - Avocado Salsa


I admit to being a little bit sheepish about posting this appetizer. I got it from a friend a few years ago, and it took me awhile to persuade her to share it. She had obtained the recipe from a friend who felt it was hers. But it's got the most incredible flavors, and when you don't use mushy tomatoes (see above), it's downright beautiful. The perfect accompaniament for it seems to be Fritos (the big brown things sticking out of the middle of it, which was intended to be decorative). I like the larger Scoops version of Fritos because you can fit more salsa in the middle for a more diverse bite.

The colors make this a perfect Christmas appetizer (that and the fact that winter is pomegranate season). Perhaps the most difficult part of this recipe is seeding the pomegranate. The first time I tried it, I think the kitchen was almost completely pink with pomegranate juice. For a video that shows you an easy way to do it, see here.

Pomegranate-Avocado Salsa
1 ripe avocado, diced small
1 large tomato, diced small
1 T. finely chopped onion
1/4 t. ground coriander
1/2 t. salt
1 T. lemon juice
1/8 t. cayenne pepper (more if you like it spicy)
Seeds of one pomegranate

Mix all ingredients together. Serve with large Fritos corn chips or Fritos Scoops.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these appetizer recipes. I'll have to give some of these a try. By the way, I don't know if you are aware, but Costco sells pomegranate seeds that have already been extracted, so this recipe would be much easier if you didn't have to seed the pomegranate. I'm not sure on the cost, but you get two plastic containers of pomegranate seeds. I don't recall that they are wildly expensive. I used pomegranate seeds in salads occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, I have seen more than one of my neighbors picking up the pre-shelled pomegranate seeds at Costco for use in this recipe. It looks to me like enough to make about four batches. But the neighbors tell me four batches is better than one, so it probably is a great solution. There are also many other great pomegranate seed recipes out there that I know I should try. Cost wise it wasn't any more than 2-3 pomegranates at average grocery store prices, and it is a lot less work.

    ReplyDelete